Understanding Dry Skin Type
Dry skin type feels tight, flaky, and rough. It has less skin elasticity and some might also experience patchiness and severe itchiness. This occurs due to the lack of natural oil production, which is mainly influenced by our genetics and external factors such as hormonal changes, climatic conditions and lifestyle choices. The advantage of having dry skin is that your pores are smaller, so not only does your skin look less greasy, but it also is less prone to breaking out. But, you have to take care of dry skin with the right products.
Now, let’s learn how to take care of dry skin:
Skincare tips for dry skin
- The lack of natural oils and lubricants needs to be compensated for, so opt for products with an oil or cream base.
Face oils that are high in Oleic Acids like Avocado Oil and Sweet Almond Oil can help to nourish your skin along with your usual moisturisers and serums.
- Face oils that are high in Oleic Acids like Avocado Oil and Sweet Almond Oil can help to nourish your skin along with your usual moisturisers and serums.
- Re-apply your moisturiser or lotion frequently throughout the day. (especially when your facial skin feels dry or stretchy)
- Wash your face gently. Do not overwork your face while cleansing.
- Do not forget CLEANSING. Use an alcohol-free, organic cleanser for your dry skin. As chemical heavy and alcohol-integrated cleansers can irritate your skin. Some cleaners can even dry out your skin further.
- Use hydrating sheet masks packed with nourishing oils, preferably organic. They are easy to use, come in a lot of variety, and do the work really well. You will notice instant hydration to your face post use. After using the mask, do not throw it away. Instead, squeeze out all the liquid/serum off that mask and re-apply it to your skin. Massage it well into your facial skin and then continue with your regular skincare routine.
- Reach out for certain ingredients such as urea, fatty acids, ceramides, shea butter, cocoa butter, and glycerin. These ingredients are saviours for dry skin. They will help in the healing process effectively.
- Using humectants helps the skin regain its natural moisture and strengthens its barrier.
- Bring home a Humidifier. Especially if you stay indoors, or in regions that have dry weather. Such environmental conditions often lead to flaky and itchy skin. The best solution for that is to provide moisture to your facial skin via a humidifier. So, invest in a good portable home humidifier and add your favourite essential oils to it. And all you have to do is sit back and relax as your skin soaks in the moisture. Plus, this is a nice ending to a stressful day.
- Only buy fragrance-free products that are non-comedogenic. Avoid products with sodium lauryl sulfate. Moreover, emollients like Squalene can help hydrate the skin and make it smoother and more even toned
- Limit your bath time and only use warm water. Not hot, not cold, only warm. Also, longer showers snatch out natural oils from your skin.
- Apply moisturizer directly after washing your face. Do not let your skin stay bare and dry.
- Lastly, choose skincare products in tandem with your skin type.
If the above skincare tips do not seem to work effectively, or if they worsen your dry skin, consult a dermatologist immediately. He/she will curate a personalised skincare routine and revive your dry skin type.
Apart from the blogs already available on our page, if you wish to hear us discuss our views on specific skincare topics, feel free to write back in the comment section below.