In part 1 of this article, we discussed the consequences of letting your makeup stay and sleeping with it. Well, in this article, we will guide you on all the necessary skincare steps you need to take before hitting your bed at night.
Read carefully for useful tips scattered here!
How to remove make-up the right way?
1) Double-cleanse your face!
If you use makeup on a daily basis, you must definitely double-cleanse your face every night. This is a thorough way of eliminating every harsh makeup bit off your skin. It’s not rocket science really. It is very easy to deep cleanse your face at home.
- The first part involves breaking down the harsh makeup along with the settled dirt and oil. This step takes up 90% of your makeup.
- The second step involves a different type of cleanser that clarifies your face completely without leaving a speck of remaining makeup on your face.
So, let’s learn how to remove makeup with the double-cleansing method.
- Step No. 1 – Pick up a wholesome amount of cleansing oil or balm and rub it within your palms. You’ll start noticing the balm changing its form due to your body heat and slightly melting in your hands.
Now, massage it all over your face and neck gently. You’ll notice the stubborn and dried-up harsh makeup melting due to the oiliness of the balm.
Scrub gently all over, especially around your eyes, lips, and brows (where you apply more makeup). Do this for around a minute and then with the help of cleansing pads/cotton pads or simply a face towel; wipe everything off gently. You can also clean your face with lukewarm water at this stage.
We hear oily skin beauties coming at us. But don’t worry, an oily cleanser will not aggravate your oiliness. In fact, it will help clear out makeup as well as excess oil/sebum from your face. And anyway, you are following it with a clarifying, hydrating cleanser that will take away all the oiliness.
- Step No. 2 – Now that all the harsh makeup is lifted, it’s time to tackle the grim, dirt, stubborn makeup residue left on your skin. For this, use your favourite clarifying cleanser. Know what your skin type is and choose the right face wash to wash away all the impurities off your face. This step will deep clean your skin and work on specific skin concerns such as signs of ageing and acne marks.
This method is super effective in reversing and slowing down premature ageing. We suggest using a foaming cleanser that will not only cleanse gently but also provide your skin with much-needed hydration after the second wash.
2) Avoid cleansing/face wipes
You might think that cleansing wipes are an easy way to take off your makeup, but let us tell you the truth. Yes, they remove makeup but they are heavily scented, alcohol-based, and can be too harsh for your skin’s microbiome. In fact in using them, mostly you just rub the existing bacteria and chemical-based ingredients into your face. You might also notice stickiness and dryness post-use. This is because the formulation and ingredients used in making these wipes are harsh.
So, stay away from cleansing wipes as they are ineffective and damaging to your skin.
3) Provide hydration to your skin post-cleansing
Do not forget to moisturize right after cleansing your face with a hydrating serum. Double cleansing or even normal cleansing in general may leave your skin thirsty. So, make sure to hydrate your skin with your favourite serum, face mist, aloe vera gel, etc. so that it gets all the nourishment it needs.
4) Do not neglect your neck and hairline
When we apply your make we make sure to reach every nook and corner of our face including our neck for a flawless look. Likewise, while taking it off, we must not miss these areas. Residues settle especially in your hair line so give it a good scrub.
5) Use makeup remover for glitter eye makeup or waterproof mascara
Sometimes, you would have to take that extra step when it comes to certain makeup products like waterproof mascara or glitter eye shadows. You can use a makeup remover or micellar water on a cotton pad to get rid of them.
But remember, the skin around your eyes is thin and more sensitive than the rest of your face. So be gentle and do not rub the cotton pad too harshly. Just hold the soaked pad on your eyelids for 15 -20 seconds and gently swipe it off. You can also use a cotton bud to clean your inner eye corners and eyelashes.
6) Use a face steamer to loosen clogged pores
If you still wanna go a step further, you can use steam on your face to open up your pores. Using steam softens up any debris and also deep cleanses your pores.
How to remove makeup with steam?
You don’t even need a steamer for this. Simply boil some water on a pot on your kitchen stove and once it’s bubbled up properly, switch off the fire. Now take a towel over your head and hover your face over the pot. Maintain a distance of 5 to 10 inches from the pot. Do not take steam for more than 2 minutes. Take regular intervals during this process.
Now that you’ve learned how to remove makeup, make sure to –
- Apply toner or facial mist for hydration
- Use a good eye cream
- You can also use a face mask or night cream
- Apply a moisturising lip balm as well.
This was our guide on how to remove makeup the right way and post-removal skin care. For more such guides, you can browse through our blog section.
We are also open to suggestions and requests, so kindly write to us in case you have any.